Each year, the Chronicle of Philanthropy catalogs the charities that raised the most money. The top ten charities for 2017 raised $47 billion in total, which equates to 11% of all giving by Americans last year. Here’s the list:
- The United Way
- The Salvation Army
- St. Jude’s
- Mayo Clinic
- Boys and Girls Club of America
- Compassion International
- Lutheran Services in America
A few highlights from the list:
- Of the top 100 charities, forty-one were colleges.
- The number one charity, the United Way, saw a 28% decline in gifts from 2016 to 2017, yet still retained a high ranking by raising $3.2 billion.
- Harvard closed out a $9.6 billion dollar campaign in 2017. This figure set a new record for college campaigns.
- A newcomer to the list of the top 100 charities was the Barack Obama Foundation at #82.